People for Education Online Community

Aliya Naveed's Comments

Comment Wall (6 comments)

You need to be a member of People for Education Online Community to add comments!

Join People for Education Online Community

At 4:24pm on December 6, 2010, Ed Lehming said…
Something I have observed over the past several years is that School Councils function better if: a) the school community actually knows the role of the school council and b) the school, community knows who's on the current council. Posting this information early in the year is the responsibility of the principal. if it is not happening, make sure you communicate it yourselves.
At 12:57pm on November 8, 2010, Gay Stephenson said…
I think you might be interested in this latest comment which relates to some of your discussions: http://schools-at-the-centre.ning.com/forum/topics/education-discussions-are?commentId=2468495%3AComment%3A20544&xg_source=activity

Just wanted to share!
At 9:34am on November 4, 2010, Gay Stephenson said…
Aliya,
I like your discussion topics too, and I'm excited to see what the responses will be!
Gay
At 8:39am on November 4, 2010, Sheila Stewart said…
Hi Aliya,
"Like" the discussion topics you posted! You are reading my mind on a lot of points! Will check by later!
At 12:04pm on October 25, 2010, Gay Stephenson said…
Hi Aliya, I think you asked me a question and I just want to make sure I have understood you correctly. Do you want to get more information about what studies you would need to undertake to move from the area of psychology, marketing to more of an education research role? If so, here are a few links: Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (or U of T) and York University may have some courses of interest. Georgian college also has an program for graduates (not just in education) but to train to become a research analyst. There may be others here in the online community who could give you more information. Hope these links give you someplace to start gathering a bit more info anyway... Thanks so much for your message! It is wonderful to hear how you became involved so soon and decided it was your goal not to feel like "a guest" in the school. Can you come to our conference? It's at York University. The cost for one day, including lunch is $60 and we childcare is free. Here's a link to more info about that: http://www.peopleforeducation.com/getinvolved/annualconference
Let me know if you have any questions about the conference. I hope you can come!
gay
Gay
At 9:05pm on October 13, 2010, Gay Stephenson said…
Hi Aliya and welcome to this online community! It's a great place to share ideas, brainstorm, or ask questions. You'll find that many people are willing to share their thoughts and ideas. It's also wonderful to see you are involved at the school and that you found out about this space already, even though your kids are so young. It often takes parents some time to get to know how things work before joining the school council and such. How did you get interested in being involved so soon? It's terrific!
Gay (one of the moderators here and web person at People for Education)

Members

Latest Activity

Janet McCarrol replied to Jacqui Strachan's discussion 'Summer Learning Loss - What do you think?'
"I agree with your account of the summer slide Wendy. I see it in many of our returning students. I can usually pick out the kids who spent virtually all of their time on a computer and/or in front of the television.  Try as teachers may, it can…"
Tuesday
Wendy Ross replied to Jacqui Strachan's discussion 'Summer Learning Loss - What do you think?'
"Being a mother who is a teacher as well, I have definitely been quite concerned about this phenomenon known as a 'summer slide' in kids. Even before I had kids of my own, I used to observe the primary school kids whom I taught come back…"
Tuesday
Wendy Ross liked Jacqui Strachan's discussion Summer Learning Loss - What do you think?
Tuesday
Annie Kidder left a comment for Trudy Richards
"Hi Trudy Welcome to this community. I hope you find lots of people to talk to and lots of information. Next week, it will all start revving up again as kids head back to school. I'm the Executive Director of People for Education and I'm…"
Monday
Trudy Richards is now a member of People for Education Online Community
Aug 23
Sheila Stewart replied to Sheila Stewart's discussion 'On Homework'
"This is a good read regarding an "Optional Homework Policy".  It covers the questions and issues surrounding homework and the benefits of an optional…"
Aug 22
Ava Coulson replied to Sara Diswahli's discussion 'Education support person?'
"I'm actually in Kingston but have 2 girls.. there's a great leraning consultant here at "Curious Life consulting". She sat down with my eldest this past spring because of reading difficulties.. not so much literacy problems as…"
Aug 21
Jacqui Strachan replied to Jacqui Strachan's discussion 'School Council Roles in Elections'
"The four provincial organizations representing school board trustees have developed a great website for the upcoming election. If you are looking for information about what a trustee does, how to run for a trustee position, how and where to vote,…"
Aug 20
A discussion started by Shelley Stacey was featured

All day Kindergarten - Funding

Just wondering everyone's thoughts on what I believe is the dirty little secret to all day kindergarten.  After looking in every area possible there is no place that states that not all classes will have both an ECE and Teacher.  In fact many classrooms are packed with 30 students while the next room has 14 to avoid paying the additional ECE. How is this equity for all students.From the Ministry website it statesTeachers and early childhood educators (ECEs) are working together to help young…See More
Aug 20
A discussion started by Lisa Robertson was featured

Is Your School Welcoming and Open to Parent Volunteers?

Many parents spend countless hours at our schools volunteering with a wide variety of activities in and around the child's school.  We have seen and answered questions on surveys but are parents feeling welcomed in schools?  Do parents feel like they are partners in education? Are there inconsistencies in welcoming environments from school to school?  Is the mandate from the Ministry of Education really being followed when it comes parent engagement/involvement?  Do schools do this because…See More
Aug 20
Jacqui Strachan replied to Shelley Stacey's discussion 'All day Kindergarten - Funding'
"I know that there has been concern among parents about class sizes in the JK/SK grades, but this is the first I have heard of configuring classes this way.  I hope others will share here if they have had the same experience."
Aug 19
Janet McCarrol replied to Shelley Stacey's discussion 'All day Kindergarten - Funding'
"As with most things, I think people were expecting an ideal. "
Aug 11

© 2014   Created by People for Education.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service