People for Education Online Community

Aliya Naveed's Comments

Comment Wall (6 comments)

You need to be a member of People for Education Online Community to add comments!

Join People for Education Online Community

At 4:24pm on December 6, 2010, Ed Lehming said…
Something I have observed over the past several years is that School Councils function better if: a) the school community actually knows the role of the school council and b) the school, community knows who's on the current council. Posting this information early in the year is the responsibility of the principal. if it is not happening, make sure you communicate it yourselves.
At 12:57pm on November 8, 2010, Gay Stephenson said…
I think you might be interested in this latest comment which relates to some of your discussions: http://schools-at-the-centre.ning.com/forum/topics/education-discussions-are?commentId=2468495%3AComment%3A20544&xg_source=activity

Just wanted to share!
At 9:34am on November 4, 2010, Gay Stephenson said…
Aliya,
I like your discussion topics too, and I'm excited to see what the responses will be!
Gay
At 8:39am on November 4, 2010, Sheila Stewart said…
Hi Aliya,
"Like" the discussion topics you posted! You are reading my mind on a lot of points! Will check by later!
At 12:04pm on October 25, 2010, Gay Stephenson said…
Hi Aliya, I think you asked me a question and I just want to make sure I have understood you correctly. Do you want to get more information about what studies you would need to undertake to move from the area of psychology, marketing to more of an education research role? If so, here are a few links: Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (or U of T) and York University may have some courses of interest. Georgian college also has an program for graduates (not just in education) but to train to become a research analyst. There may be others here in the online community who could give you more information. Hope these links give you someplace to start gathering a bit more info anyway... Thanks so much for your message! It is wonderful to hear how you became involved so soon and decided it was your goal not to feel like "a guest" in the school. Can you come to our conference? It's at York University. The cost for one day, including lunch is $60 and we childcare is free. Here's a link to more info about that: http://www.peopleforeducation.com/getinvolved/annualconference
Let me know if you have any questions about the conference. I hope you can come!
gay
Gay
At 9:05pm on October 13, 2010, Gay Stephenson said…
Hi Aliya and welcome to this online community! It's a great place to share ideas, brainstorm, or ask questions. You'll find that many people are willing to share their thoughts and ideas. It's also wonderful to see you are involved at the school and that you found out about this space already, even though your kids are so young. It often takes parents some time to get to know how things work before joining the school council and such. How did you get interested in being involved so soon? It's terrific!
Gay (one of the moderators here and web person at People for Education)

Members

Latest Activity

A discussion started by Annie Kidder was featured

Sex education in schools

The government got nervous about the sex education component of the new Health and Physical Education curriculum for elementary schools and has decided, in its wisdom, to withdraw it. Since Friday, an amazing discussion has been going on in this online community. It's well worth reading the whole thing, from top to bottom. And now you can read the curriclum too! The Ministry of Education (also in its wisdom) took the…See More
5 hours ago
Jacqui Strachan replied to Annie Kidder's discussion 'Sex education in schools'
"Consultations are coming! The Ministry of Education has announced that it will begin consultations on the sex education curriculum, with the aim of implementing new curriculum in September. Here is the Ministry's media release."
5 hours ago
Ann J Thompson is now a member of People for Education Online Community
6 hours ago
Sheila Stewart replied to Sheila Stewart's discussion 'Hats: On or Off?'
"Hmm, I am not sure, Tara.  I will see what I can find on that.  Maybe someone else has those details handy?"
Wednesday
Tara Fox replied to Sheila Stewart's discussion 'Hats: On or Off?'
"Hi Sheila, A well designed safety program has many levels. Too often our school safety programs are based on reaction rather than prevention IMHO.  I have read that many safety advocates are very critical of the lack of measurement when it…"
Wednesday
Li Ro replied to Jacqui Strachan's discussion 'You Gotta Watch/Listen to this...'
"Here's something interesting out of Australia, self assessments for teachers and why it contributes to student academic success and wellbeing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzDcYuSsU2E ;"
Sunday
Sheila Stewart replied to Sheila Stewart's discussion 'Hats: On or Off?'
"Thanks, Tara.  Yes, true, safety is often one of the main reasons referred to.  Is there some "false security" in this as well though?  I am sure it is a combination of monitoring strategies and practices that help…"
Sunday
Tara Fox replied to Sheila Stewart's discussion 'Hats: On or Off?'
"Good Morning, This is a very timely topic. I believe this to be a safety issue. Security cameras in schools and outside schools are normally elevated and looking down. A hat and or hoodie can prevent potential suspects from being identified. Three…"
Oct 24
Sheila Stewart posted a discussion

Hats: On or Off?

I recently posted a discussion with some questions about school dress codes and also mentioned hats as well.http://discuss.peopleforeducation.ca/forum/topics/school-dress-codesI thought I would start a separate discussion topic focused on hats since there are a few good blog posts that do just that (and winter is coming... :( ).  I hope this helps discussions specific to "hats in school" at the school level and…See More
Oct 23
Jacqui Strachan commented on Gay Stephenson's group 'People for Education Conference Meet Up!'
"Oh, like we're that organized, Jamie. LOL. The photo will probably take place at the end of the day, and we'll likely plan for a meet-up at lunch. "
Oct 23
Jamie Wayne de l'Eveille commented on Gay Stephenson's group 'People for Education Conference Meet Up!'
"Do we have an agenda yet for the online community meet up?"
Oct 22
Jacqui Strachan commented on Gay Stephenson's group 'People for Education Conference Meet Up!'
"We are hoping that there will be lots of social media action from the conference. Sheila spotted this gem on twitter - 5 Tips for Using Social Media during Conferences.  Number 2 is "get the hashtag right".  For the People for Ed…"
Oct 22

© 2014   Created by People for Education.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service