People for Education Online Community

Aliya Naveed's Comments

Comment Wall (6 comments)

You need to be a member of People for Education Online Community to add comments!

Join People for Education Online Community

At 4:24pm on December 6, 2010, Ed Lehming said…
Something I have observed over the past several years is that School Councils function better if: a) the school community actually knows the role of the school council and b) the school, community knows who's on the current council. Posting this information early in the year is the responsibility of the principal. if it is not happening, make sure you communicate it yourselves.
At 12:57pm on November 8, 2010, Gay Stephenson said…
I think you might be interested in this latest comment which relates to some of your discussions: http://schools-at-the-centre.ning.com/forum/topics/education-discussions-are?commentId=2468495%3AComment%3A20544&xg_source=activity

Just wanted to share!
At 9:34am on November 4, 2010, Gay Stephenson said…
Aliya,
I like your discussion topics too, and I'm excited to see what the responses will be!
Gay
At 8:39am on November 4, 2010, Sheila Stewart said…
Hi Aliya,
"Like" the discussion topics you posted! You are reading my mind on a lot of points! Will check by later!
At 12:04pm on October 25, 2010, Gay Stephenson said…
Hi Aliya, I think you asked me a question and I just want to make sure I have understood you correctly. Do you want to get more information about what studies you would need to undertake to move from the area of psychology, marketing to more of an education research role? If so, here are a few links: Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (or U of T) and York University may have some courses of interest. Georgian college also has an program for graduates (not just in education) but to train to become a research analyst. There may be others here in the online community who could give you more information. Hope these links give you someplace to start gathering a bit more info anyway... Thanks so much for your message! It is wonderful to hear how you became involved so soon and decided it was your goal not to feel like "a guest" in the school. Can you come to our conference? It's at York University. The cost for one day, including lunch is $60 and we childcare is free. Here's a link to more info about that: http://www.peopleforeducation.com/getinvolved/annualconference
Let me know if you have any questions about the conference. I hope you can come!
gay
Gay
At 9:05pm on October 13, 2010, Gay Stephenson said…
Hi Aliya and welcome to this online community! It's a great place to share ideas, brainstorm, or ask questions. You'll find that many people are willing to share their thoughts and ideas. It's also wonderful to see you are involved at the school and that you found out about this space already, even though your kids are so young. It often takes parents some time to get to know how things work before joining the school council and such. How did you get interested in being involved so soon? It's terrific!
Gay (one of the moderators here and web person at People for Education)

Members

Latest Activity

yogi is now a member of People for Education Online Community
17 hours ago
Harry Sutton replied to Harry Sutton's discussion 'St Anthony Daniel School Closure Scotland Ontario'
"P S....Thx for the newspaper article Nancy"
20 hours ago
Sheila Stewart replied to Jacqui Strachan's discussion 'Parent Involvement Committees in 2014'
"I thought PDSB did a good outreach here with their posting for new parent members.  They have outlined the mandated purpose of PICs, listed names of staff resource persons, and described their selection process.  I noticed their term…"
20 hours ago
Harry Sutton replied to Harry Sutton's discussion 'St Anthony Daniel School Closure Scotland Ontario'
"the month of June quickly approaches and with it the closure of St Anthony Daniel School in Scotland Ontario the parents and the community have attempted to meet with the Ontario Ministry Of Education over our concerns they are now not even…"
20 hours ago
Kim Moran replied to Kim Moran's discussion 'TDSB & Mental Health Strategy'
"Great document, thanks for sharing.  Here is a link to the provincial program that is rolling out across school boards right now.  http://smh-assist.ca/"
yesterday
Jacqui Strachan replied to Jacqui Strachan's discussion 'Parent Involvement Committees in 2014'
"I think that two PIC members from each board are invited to attend. "
yesterday
Kiruthiha Kulendiren replied to Jacqui Strachan's discussion 'Parent Involvement Committees in 2014'
"@Nancy.. what a wonderful idea! really walking the talk ;) Parent inclusion not just those privileged to run for elections. Jacqui - the upcoming PIC conference organised by the MinEd, is it only open to sitting PIC members or to council members…"
yesterday
Jacqui Strachan replied to Jacqui Strachan's discussion 'Parent Involvement Committees in 2014'
"Hi Nancy, I know they attend the meetings - I'll see what I can find out. "
yesterday
Nancy replied to Harry Sutton's discussion 'St Anthony Daniel School Closure Scotland Ontario'
"Here is a story in today's local paper.  I can understand the feeling of "family".  My child goes to a small school, and it really is like family.…"
yesterday
Nancy replied to Jacqui Strachan's discussion 'Parent Involvement Committees in 2014'
"Is it the Ottawa Catholic board where a PIC member actually sits at the board table?  Not as a voting member, but to give input?   I thought that was an exceptional idea.  We student trustees who sit but not vote, why not a PIC member?"
yesterday
"another week and the Ontario ministry of education keeps stalling their meeting with us once again putting the children last"
Tuesday
Profile IconDeborah W and Toronto School Watch joined People for Education Online Community
Tuesday

© 2014   Created by People for Education.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service