People for Education Online Community

Aliya Naveed's Comments

Comment Wall (6 comments)

You need to be a member of People for Education Online Community to add comments!

Join People for Education Online Community

At 4:24pm on December 6, 2010, Ed Lehming said…
Something I have observed over the past several years is that School Councils function better if: a) the school community actually knows the role of the school council and b) the school, community knows who's on the current council. Posting this information early in the year is the responsibility of the principal. if it is not happening, make sure you communicate it yourselves.
At 12:57pm on November 8, 2010, Gay Stephenson said…
I think you might be interested in this latest comment which relates to some of your discussions: http://schools-at-the-centre.ning.com/forum/topics/education-discussions-are?commentId=2468495%3AComment%3A20544&xg_source=activity

Just wanted to share!
At 9:34am on November 4, 2010, Gay Stephenson said…
Aliya,
I like your discussion topics too, and I'm excited to see what the responses will be!
Gay
At 8:39am on November 4, 2010, Sheila Stewart said…
Hi Aliya,
"Like" the discussion topics you posted! You are reading my mind on a lot of points! Will check by later!
At 12:04pm on October 25, 2010, Gay Stephenson said…
Hi Aliya, I think you asked me a question and I just want to make sure I have understood you correctly. Do you want to get more information about what studies you would need to undertake to move from the area of psychology, marketing to more of an education research role? If so, here are a few links: Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (or U of T) and York University may have some courses of interest. Georgian college also has an program for graduates (not just in education) but to train to become a research analyst. There may be others here in the online community who could give you more information. Hope these links give you someplace to start gathering a bit more info anyway... Thanks so much for your message! It is wonderful to hear how you became involved so soon and decided it was your goal not to feel like "a guest" in the school. Can you come to our conference? It's at York University. The cost for one day, including lunch is $60 and we childcare is free. Here's a link to more info about that: http://www.peopleforeducation.com/getinvolved/annualconference
Let me know if you have any questions about the conference. I hope you can come!
gay
Gay
At 9:05pm on October 13, 2010, Gay Stephenson said…
Hi Aliya and welcome to this online community! It's a great place to share ideas, brainstorm, or ask questions. You'll find that many people are willing to share their thoughts and ideas. It's also wonderful to see you are involved at the school and that you found out about this space already, even though your kids are so young. It often takes parents some time to get to know how things work before joining the school council and such. How did you get interested in being involved so soon? It's terrific!
Gay (one of the moderators here and web person at People for Education)

Members

Latest Activity

Janet McCarrol commented on Cheryl's status
"What are the basis for your concerns? (I don't expect you to elaborate here - but you should be able to communicate them).   I think you need to be clear and concrete about your concerns - and have you tried discussing your concerns with…"
Nov 12
Cheryl posted a status
"What advice do people have when your child has poor teachers? My son had a first year teacher for SK and when I went to the principal with c"
Nov 12
Cheryl is now a member of People for Education Online Community
Nov 12
Jacqui Strachan commented on Jacqui Strachan's video
Thumbnail

Tips for Parent-Teacher Interviews

"When my sons' grade 7-8 school did student-led conferences, it was definitely not done in the presence of other students. It was just like other parent-teacher interviews, except my son led it, with support from his teacher. They had prepped…"
Nov 10
Janet McCarrol commented on Jacqui Strachan's video
Thumbnail

"I have never heard of the ¨Student-led group conference¨ before and I have to agree, I would not be comfortable discussing my child in front of his or her peers either.  I have always taught in a school where the more traditional…"
Nov 10
Vicki Cook commented on Jacqui Strachan's video
Thumbnail

"Two years ago our elementary school went to the "Student-led group conference" to replace the tradition parent-teacher interview.  Basically, you are in the classroom with one or two other families, and your child is expected to…"
Nov 10
Nicole D'Alessandro updated their profile
Nov 9
Nicole D'Alessandro is now a member of People for Education Online Community
Nov 9
Rose Da Silva liked Jacqui Strachan's video
Nov 8
Profile IconSarah Gunter and Andrea Kalmin joined People for Education Online Community
Nov 8
With Equal Step updated their profile
Nov 8
With Equal Step replied to Katrina Elchami's discussion 'Board PICs and Banking'
"That sounds very frustrating to say the least. While it should be unnecessary to take the lead on this, perhaps this could be an opportunity to model partnership building by requesting a sit-down with the relevant Board officials. Before you begin,…"
Nov 8

© 2014   Created by People for Education.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service